This morning I am playing for Mass at The French Church (St Paul’s, Portarlington) for Advent Sunday. It is the beginning of the Church’s Year. They hymns I have chosen link to the readings (Year A of the Revised Common Lectionary) and also for Advent in general.
- Opening Hymn: ICH 118 – Behold, the mountain of the Lord
- For Psalm 122 – ICH 506 – Pray that Jerusalem may have
- Gradual Hymn – ICH 140 – The Lord will come and not be slow
- Communion Hymn – ICH 127 – Hark, what a sound, and too divine for hearing
- Final Hymn – ICH 135 – O come, O come Emmanuel
There were two changes of tune from that set in the Irish Church Hymnal: Hymn 506 was sung to St Columba, a firm favourite with the congregation; Hymn 140 was sung to Kingsfold, three double verses seems not as long as six verses.